1. Who are the best candidates for an Thread Lift Surgery?
Thread lift surgery for suitable candidate assist in:
- Lifting and adding volume to sagging cheeks
- Elevate sagging brows
- Elevate and refresh marionette lines and nasolabial grooves
- Support and revitalize the neck area
- Correct asymmetry of the brow and face
- Revitalize and lift the jowl area
2. What threads do we use?
Next-generation Promoitalia dissolvable threads have been available in Australia since 2009, and have been successfully used in hundreds of thread lift procedures. The threads dissolve within 9 to 12 months, while the long term benefits of the thread lift will last for several years.
Promoitalia Threads are patented, unique, absorbable and offer significant advantages compared to the older style threads.
These new revitalizing threads are very different to the older threads that were used in the past. The new threads (unlike the conventional smooth threads) have small soft barbs (also known as cogs) that resemble a fishbone. When inserted just under the skin the cogs cling to the facial soft tissue, gently lifting the tissue and thereby providing a new support scaffolding that lifts and holds the tissue in place. These new threads rebuild the structure of your skin from within.
Over a period of nine to twelve months the threads dissolve – but before dissolving they produce fibrosis that in turn creates a new support scaffolding of collagen for the skin. This new scaffolding can lift and support the thread lift for many years to come.
In addition to the lift effect, the thread lift creates new skin firmness and may assist with improved skin colour, skin tone and texture. The Promoitalia thread lift preserves the natural contours of the face, so that the results are more subtle and natural looking. The results are achieved without hospitalisation, without scarring and with a minimum of downtime. In fact, you can return home within a few hours and resume normal activities after a few days.
The advantage of absorbable threads is that they will not impact on any future procedures (should you wish further thread lifts or other lifts in years to come).
The Ageing Face
Typically the ageing face starts to lose elasticity and volume, as evidenced in the following common features:
- Development of fine lines and wrinkles
- Poor skin texture, tone and colour
- Droopy eyes
- Sagging skin of the neck, jowls and cheeks
- Cheeks looking flat and hollow
- Thinning of the lips
- Loss of tissue volume
- Skin dehydration.
From even an early age the ageing process becomes visible. Connective tissue thins and collagen and elastin fibers start to break down. The result is sagging of the tissues, with folds and wrinkles appearing. It is at this point, or even earlier, that many women and men seek to refresh and rejuvenate a tired look. Your doctor may recommend a revitalizing thread lift as a procedure to rejuvenate your face, restoring the youthful contours without changing the natural features of your face and neck. In addition to restoring the natural facial contours there are also other advantages of a thread lift procedure, including new skin firmness, and the procedure may improve skin colour, tone and texture. The thread lift is a minimally invasive procedure that can be carried out in the doctor’s medical suite with a minimum of downtime and at a cost much less than a conventional facelift.
Unlike traditional face-lifting procedures, the Promoitalia dissolvable threads offer a “soft” surgical approach and in typical cases do not leave any scars on the skin. The typical thread lift takes from 45 to 90 minutes depending on the number of threads, after which you can return home within a few hours.
Please see below what is expected of you pre and post threadlift procedure.
- Try to avoid or reduce caffeine and nicotine intake prior to your procedure.
- If you are on an anti-coagulant or blood platelet anti-aggregation drugs discuss this with your Doctor.
- If you suffer from cold sores discuss this with your Doctor. It is recommended to take antiviral therapy at least 48 hours before operation and continue with antiviral therapy for the three days after the procedure.
- If you suffer from any blood coagulation problems discuss this with your Doctor.
- Smokers tend to heal a little slower than non-smokers. Your Doctor may recommend Vitamin C.
- Arnica tablets starting from 3 days prior to the operation and continuing for 4 to7 days after the operation
- Avoid Vitamin E, Fish Oil, Green Tea for 10 days before and after the operation.
- Do not take Anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS/Aspirin) for 2-3 weeks before and afte the procedure. If you are on anti-inflammatory drugs discuss this with your Doctor at time of consultation.
- Do not drink alcohol for 48 hours pre and post surgery.
- Do not apply moisturiser or make-up on the day of surgery.
- Cleanse your hair with chlorhexidine on day of surgery.
- Advise your Doctor of any medication (prescription and non-prescription) that you may be on.
- For the first 24 to 48 hours after surgery apply cold compresses on the areas treated. Remember, no pressure to be exerted on the face. The compresses should only be placed gently on the areas where the threads have been implanted.
- Immediately after the procedure and for 24 hours at least reduce “Frequent Speaking” and avoid excessive “Laughter”. Excessive speaking and laughing can increase unwanted facial movements.
- Do not use make-up for 3-5 days
- Sleep in seated position; that is, keep this position with the help of some pillows behind, use a supporting pillow for the neck (similar to those provided on international flights). This is important if the threads have been inserted into the mid-face and temporal areas. Sleep on your back with your head slightly elevated for 7 days. Do not sleep with pressure on your face.
- Antibiotic therapy is necessary post surgery. Your Doctor will prescribe an appropriate antibiotic.
- Recommend liquid or semi-liquid food, cold or slightly warm never hot.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Avoid very hot drinks.
- Soft diet / small mouthfuls so that your mouth only opens a small amount for seven (7) days.
- Do not pull your face down.
- Do not raise brows or smile.
- No Smoking if possible.
- No drinking with straws as this distorts the facial muscles.
- Avoid Shaving for 10 days after procedure (because of involuntary grimacing). After 10 days shave with a new blade allowing one passage over the skin without contorting the face. Usual shaving after 25 days.
- Hold face with hands if crying, coughing, and sneezing to avoid excessive use of facial muscles.
- Paracetamol (Panadol) or Paracetamol and Codeine (Panadeine) as required.
It is normal to experience some swelling, bruising and slight discomfort. There may be a feeling of tightness, pulling and tenderness.
Immediately call your Doctor if you experience any of the following:
- Sudden relapse or asymmetry (your face becomes uneven).
- Bump appears on your face (where the thread was trimmed).
- If you suspect infection.
- Micropore tape to be left in place for three (3) to ten (10) days depending on procedure.
- Wash your face very carefully; use a sensitive soap and gentle showering.
Showering / Bathing:
- Your may commence showering or bathing the day after your procedure taking care not to put any stretch on the neck or face.
- Hair colour can be done at three (3) weeks post procedure.
- Avoid facials, massage, waxing for three (3) weeks.
Appointments / Follow up:
- First appointment is at the third day (3).
- Second appointment is at day ten (10)
(Doctor will advise if these time-frames will vary.)
- Return to work in five (5) to seven (7) days.
- You many commence driving after 24 hours.
Post Op Care / Follow up:
- Please confirm a contact telephone number so you can be reached for 24 hours following your surgery.
- You must have a responsible person staying with you for the first 24 hours after your surgery.
- Please call you doctor if you are concerned about any matters regarding your surgery.
- No strenuous exercise for at least 14 days, Light exercise eg walking is O.K. If you are in doubt discuss with your Doctor.
- Avoid trauma on the area of surgery for at least 45 days after procedure.
3. How much does it cost?
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a costing for a thread lift procedure without Dr Michael Zacharia examining the areas that the threads would be used. Please appreciate there are a variety of threads in the promoitalia range used for the facial and neck areas. Also the other variable would be the quantity of threads used.
Please keep in mind not all patients are alike and some will require a slightly different operation than others. Rest assured, you will receive a specific price quotation during your consultation visit. Our staff are always happy to discuss these matters with you in more detail. Read more about Facelift, S-lift and Brow Lift Surgery.
4. Is there patient financing?
Patient financing is completely independent from the clinic. For patients wanting affordable payment plans please apply directly with Total Lifestyle Credit. This facility is subject to approval. Our advice to all patients is to be financially responsible when undertaking finance for elective surgical procedures.